Pages

Sunday 8 September 2013

Fred Eaglesmith's Traveling Steam Show

Fred Eaglesmith and his Traveling Steam Show were the closest ever last night. We have a 100 mile radius rule that gets us out to lots of shows, but this one we could almost walk to. In celebration, I made this 2x8 foot sign to promote the show last night at Exeter. Then I got real busy with work and never got to put it up. I'll keep it in the barn for another show close by. Talking to Mr. Zinger, I suggested ye Olde Town Hall at Ailsa Craig. That would be sweet.



The show, as usual, was fantastic, with two new songs that we instantly loved. One by Tif Ginn which had Matty rock a terrific solo. A Fred song that had us digging it right from the start, but we couldn't place it. I thought we had all Fred's songs, so we're thinking it's new.

At this show, the stars lined up for me big time. Fred and the band were getting rid of some old wardrobe... I couldn't believe it when we visited the sales rack and met Justine, to see this beautiful jacket that Fred no longer needed. I tried it on and man it just fit me perfect. David and Justine agreed, and it was a done deal. I just took it off for the first time. A bit weird because although I'm a Fred Head, it seemed a bit in his space to buy his jacket. But, after the show he concurred that the jacket and the pie went together perfectly, so I feel good about owning it.

I wasn't sure there would be a pie auction, but it commenced with one pie on offer - a pecan. I had been out bid at the Blythe show, and to see this beauty on offer I knew it was time to step up and help out Operation Smile. No one else was going home with that pie.

Fred as auctioneer was in fine form. Once it started to slow down around at $175, I got in and kept at it to the $250 end point. Man it makes you feel good to do this. Next time you're at a show and this happens, go for it. You will feel sooooo good.

As for the pie, it is a beauty. The lady who made it happened to be sitting near me and was so pleased her work helped bring a good return for the smiles.

Fred ended with the funniest account of how he had walked off stage into the closet at the encore. All of us in the hall, including Fred, about bust our guts on it.

Thanks Fred, Kori, Justine, Matty, Tif and Zinger. We missed President Bill Poss, but heard he's out solo for bit.

As for the jacket, here it is in action. I always liked Johnny, I think I like him more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment