Pages

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Skipper Fred


I had a rare chance to go on a road trip to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia with my son in May.  As long as I can remember I've been drawn to the water.  This could be fresh water lakes in Ontario, or either coast of Canada.  We stayed at an eclectic mix of bed and breakfasts during our tour and had a chance to talk with quite a few locals.  I was struck by the beauty of the landscape and the wonderful people who are sewn into it.  I heard many of those I met speak about the declining fishing industry and how many east coast people had to leave in order to find work to make ends meet.  I was quite saddened to imagine what it might be like to feel forced away from such a wonderful place.  We met Skipper Fred in Lunenburg where he and the nice people at the Sail Inn made special arrangements for us to go out for a harbour tour and to try our luck fishing for flounder in the muddy area adjacent to the Highliner seafood plant.  Fred spun a number of yarns in the short time we were out and he inspired me to write this tune where I tried to capture some of the emotions I felt.

The Ballad of Skipper Fred

I recorded this on an ipad with Garageband using garageband drums and bass, Thumbjam hammer dulcimer, low D whistle, Sackapipa and Harp.  Vocals were done using vocal live, to create the harmony. I used audiobus to record thumjam and vocal live in garageband.  I also used a real guitar so at least one of the instruments is not fake.

NY



No comments:

Post a Comment