Pages

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Crossroads Again

This is one of the first songs we ever played together, that WAS NOT a cover. I was learning how to play blues harp after basically playing Neil Young tunes, and other melody in straight harp. It was one of those discoveries: if Nic plays blues in E on guitar, I play my A harp (cross). Maybe it was the first song, but of course in the early days it was just a jam and no lyrics.

Finally laid down here with lyrics I wrote and a tune Nic worked out with his Garage Bandmates. Since it came back to me dirty, I recorded the harp with crunchy blues amp and effects. Looking forward to getting the real gear I need to play something like this.




Nothing too special, just the usual 12-bar progression and a very tired blues theme. The only thing to point out is that the crossroads in the much maligned story of Robert Johnson going to the crossroads is that the difference between 61 and 49 is 55 - my age when I wrote the lyric. One of those serendipitous things that happens now and again. Then again, up here, everyone knows 61 don't cross 49.

Crossroads Again

At the crossroad again, not just for the blues
At the crossroad again, and paying my dues
I'm putting it all on the line, and I got plenty to lose

Sold it to the devil, 61 and 49
Sold it to the devil, buying all he finds
Wasn't mine in the first place, but I'm running out of time 

Turned at the corner, the signpost was wrong
Turned at the corner, down a road so long
I just couldn't go straight, to find the blues in a song

Now I'm feeling so lost, devil makes a deal
Now I'm feeling so lost, how it makes me feel,
Nothing left, its all empty, from all that he'd steal

Shake the devils curse, the music and the lies
Shake the devils curse, mojo maker tries
Gotta keep going, or let the music die

At the crossroad again, not just for the blues
At the crossroad again, and paying the dues
I'm putting it all on the line, and I got plenty to lose   

No comments:

Post a Comment